Yes, I know... another Tuesday posting. But yesterday was a holiday... so it doesn't count, right?
1) The horse show on Saturday went wonderfully... despite the fact that it was in the upper 90s! Holy moly it was hot!! Spot did fantastic!! We ended up doing a second warm up round and then dropped down to the Future Hunter division instead of the Baby Hunters. 6" isn't much and he was spooking more at the flower boxes and such and not the fences. Besides.. it meant being done faster and in the case of that heat, faster was better. Was wiggly and had issues with our canter leads, but I couldn't be happier with his performance. Hopefully I can get some pictures to post soon. He took 3rd in the flat class, and 3rd in both the jumping classes... and was division Reserve Champion! I'm definitely planning on showing him at the Stillwater Pony Club Hunter show in a couple weeks. Need to make a decision about the Backyard Horse Trials though.
2) The Labor Day Shindig went well. Smallish crowd but it was fun to hang out and talk to folks. Halloween is the next big shindig... and then hopefully one to celebrate buying more land. At least that's the plan.
3) The turkeys are being really good about staying in their run so they have been let out all day the last several days, including when I was not home on Saturday. They have figured out where the shady spots were to try and stay cool on Saturday... and I suppose stayed out of the rain on Sunday (more or less). Still not the brightest animals on the planet, but they're doing really well.
4) Egg production from the hens is still down. Now that it's cooled down, I'm going to try an experiment where I keep them in their room all day. Trying to determine if production is down overall... or if several of them are sneeking off somewhere and laying eggs in secret. I'm hoping for the latter so I can get back to offering more eggs for sale than a dozen here and there.
5) What an amazing difference in temperature!! I daresay it was a tad chilly yesterday. But I guess a 30 degree difference in 48 hours is a lot to adjust too. Didn't get a whole lot accomplished as it was a recovery day from the Shindig the night before, but puttered a little. Hoping to get a few projects underway shortly and have decided that I do want to enclose the backside of the workbench area for a new tack room. Fed the horse tack addiction on Saturday and purchased a few things that would look lovely in a nice, finished tack room. Not a major priority, but one that wouldn't take much time or money to complete since the area is already lit and has studs to attach plywood walls to. Hopefully the lovely fall temps stick around for a while as it's much nicer to work in.